As Partner her practice includes commercial and residential real estate, business, and land use development and equine law.
As the result of her prior business interests owning real estate investment, development and management companies she has gained extensive legal experience with complex commercial and residential real estate transactions, development projects, and land use development.
A niche area of law Marcia has focused on is equine law. Marcia has developed an equine law practice honed by regular attendance at the National Equine Law Conference in Lexington, Kentucky. Her practice has included representation of many area clients in establishing equine farms from the original purchase of the facility to the creation of profitable boarding and training facilities. Additionally, she handles issues related to limiting equine liability, stallion breeding, disputes over sire breeding funds, sale and purchase agreements, entity formation, boarding contracts, establishing and enforcing liens, among other issues.
Marcia is a member of the New York State Bar Association, having served on the Special Committee on Animals and the Law and is a member of the Municipal Law and Real Estate Law Sections. She is also a member of the American College of Equine Attorneys, the United States Equestrian Federation, the Humane Society of the United States, and a past Board member of the SPCA of Orange County.
Long committed to community service, in 1992, Marcia spearheaded the creation of a not-for-profit primary community healthcare facility, serving as Board President since 1992 and as Vice Chairperson of the parent corporation HRH Care, Inc. since 1998.
Marcia was appointed by the Orange County Executive in 1994, to serve as a Board member of the Orange County Water Authority and served as its Chairperson from 2006-2019.
Marcia is a member of the Orange County Bar Association, and Women’s Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan County. Marcia was awarded the Women of Achievement award in 1996 by the YWCA of Orange County and Sarah Wells Girl Scout Council of Orange County and she continued to serve as co-chair of the Alumni Committee until 2018.
Marcia started her law practice in 1987, and continued in private practice until 2009. In January, 2010, Marcia joined the firm of Jacobowitz & Gubits, LLP and became a Partner in the firm in 2016.
Marcia serves as 1st Vice Chair of Sun River Health formerly Hudson River Healthcare for the past 20 years and was appointed to the Behavioral Health Incident Review Committee.
A graduate of Goucher College, Marcia received her Juris Doctorate degree in 1985 from Pace University School of Law. She was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1986.
- New York, 1986
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Section
- New York State Bar Association, Municipal Law Section
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. – 1985
- Goucher College, Towson, Maryland
- B.A. – 1982
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Russian Cultural Studies
- Limits of Equine Liability, Cornell Coop Extension, 2009
- Radio Guest on WTBQ Horse Talk, 2016
- The Dorothy Kartashevich Consumer Award by the Community Health Care Association of New York State, 2016
- Women of Achievement Awarded by YWCA of Orange County and Sarah Wells Girl Scout Council, 1996
- Spearheaded Creation of a Non-for-Profit Article 28 Community Primary Healthcare Facility
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Orange County Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan Counties
- HRH Care, Inc., 1nd Vice Chair, 1998 – Present
- Wallkill Valley Health Coalition Corp., President, 1992 – Present
- Wallkill Valley Health Coalition Corp., President, 1993 – Present
- Orange County Water Authority, Board Chairwoman, 2006 – 2019
- Orange County Water Authority, Board Member, 1994 – 2019
- Winslow Therapeutic Riding Center, Trustee, Past
- Hudson Highland Nature Museum, Board Member, Past
- SPCA of Orange County, Board Member, Past
- Orange County Community College Foundation Board, Past
- United States Equestrian Federation
- American College of Equine Attorneys
- Real Estate Management
- Real Estate Development and Investment
- Licensed Real Estate Broker