Mr. Jacobowitz is the founder and of counsel at Jacobowitz and Gubits, LLP. He practices Environmental/Land Use, Real Estate, Municipal and Business Law. He has been village and town attorney for municipalities throughout the Hudson Valley. On behalf of private clients, he has helped bring to fruition numerous successful projects, including Rural Ridge subdivision, Harriman Business Park, Wind Ridge Village, Harriman Hills, Thruway Shopping Center, Walden View Apartments, and Millpond Condominium. He represented the first commercial use cooperative and first industrial use condominium in Orange County, and has represented clients in a myriad of applications and hearings before local, county, and state administrative boards.
Mr. Jacobowitz has been a leader in the organized bar as a member of the New York State Bar Association, Municipal Law Section (member of the Executive Committee since 1982, secretary, second and first vice-chair, and chair 1993-1995.); an original co-editor of the Municipal Lawyer, the official publication of the Section; a member of the Orange County Bar Association (former president, director, treasurer and vice-president). He is also the original co-editor of the Orange County Lawyer, the official publication of the Orange County Bar Association.
Long committed to community service, Gerald served as a founding director of the Orange County Pro-Bono Legal Services, Inc. He served as a member of the Orange County Planning Board 1997-2014 and was vice chairman of the Orange County Charter Revision Commission, 1994-1996. Mr. Jacobowitz also served as a director of the Meyer and Lillian Jacobowitz Charitable Foundation. He is a founding director and has served as president of the board of directors for the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan.
Gerald is a graduate of Colgate University, magna cum laude – Phi Beta Kappa. Gerald received his Juris Doctor degree in 1958 from the New York University School of Law, where he was a John Ben Snow Root Tilden Scholar. Gerald was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1959 and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- New York, 1959
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1962
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1962
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1962
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1963
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- Honors: John Ben Snow Root Tilden Scholar
- Colgate University, Hamilton, New York
- B.A. magna cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
HONORS AND AWARDS
- David T. Cooks Award for Committment to Community, 2019
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Orange County Bar Association, 2008
- State of Israel Man of the Year
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- New York State Bar Association, House of Delegates; Municipal Law Section, Member, Former Section Chair, Executive Committee, 1982 – Present
- Orange County Planning Board, Member
- Walden Local Development Corp., Board of Director
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Orange County Citizens Foundation, Member
- Community Foundation of Orange & Sullivan, Past President, Director
- Meyer & Lillian Jacobowitz Foundation, Director
- Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress, Member
- Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – Middletown Campus Advisory Board