Marissa G. Weiss is an associate attorney practicing municipal law, land use law, and environmental law, along with Cannabis and Hemp Law.
Marissa earned her earned her Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, from Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster Pennsylvania with a major in Environmental Studies and French.
Marissa earned her Juris Doctorate and Certificate in Environmental Law, magna cum laude, in 2017 from the Elizabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University in White Plains, New York. She also concurrently participated in a dual degree program, where she earned her Masters’ in Environmental Management from Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies in New Haven, Connecticut.
Prior to joining the firm of Jacobowitz and Gubits, Marissa worked for Whitbeck, Benedict, & Smith, LLP in Hudson, New York as a land use and litigation associate. She also worked as a legal intern at both Pace Environmental Litigation Clinic in White Plains, New York and Harris Beach, PLLC, also in White Plains, New York.
Marissa clerked in the Water and General Law Branch at the US Environmental Protection Agency Region II, office of Regional Counsel in New York, New York, as well as for the Southern District of New York in White Plains, New York.
Marissa is a member of the New York State Bar and the Appellate Division 3rd Department. She is also a member of the Women’s Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan Counties and the Dutchess County Bar. Marissa is a graduate of the Pattern Fellows Program Class of 2019.
Marissa was a co-presenter at the Mid-Hudson Chapter of the Appraisal Institute’s 5th Annual Appraisal Case Studies Seminar: “Marijuana and Hemp Industry – Impact of Evolving Laws and Regulation on Real Estate” (October 16, 2019).
Outside of work, Marissa enjoys spending time outdoors in the Hudson Valley, especially hiking and running.
- Environmental Litigation
- Land Use Law
- Municipal Law
- New York State Bar, 2017
- Appellate Division 3rd Department
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. – 2017
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, New Haven, Connecticut
- Masters – Environmental Management Studies – 2017
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- B.A. – 2013
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Major: Environmental Studies and French
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- New York State Bar Association
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Pace Environmental Law Review – Peer Review Editor
- Whitbeck, Benedict & Smith, LLP – Hudson, NY – Land Use and Litigation Associate
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies – Teaching Fellow, Land Use Seminar
- Pace Environmental Litigation Clinic – White Plains, NY – Legal Intern
- Harris Beach, PLLC – White Plains, NY – Legal Intern
- US Environment Protection Agency Region II, Office of Regional Counsel, New York, NY – Summer Law Clerk
- O’Donnell Law – Greenwich, CT – Law Clerk
- Riverkeeper, NYC Watershed Department, Pace Law School E-House – White Plains, NY – Legal Intern
- Land Use Law Center, Pace Law School – White Plains, NY – Research Assistant and Legal Intern
- Honorable Kenneth M. Karas, US District Court, SDNY – White Plains, NY – Legal Intern
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Published in Chronogram Magazine (Delving into the Weeds), 2019
- Published in The Urban Lawyer (Attack of the Zombie Properties, ABA Publication, Summer, 2016)
- Participant in Pace Law’s Federal Judicial Honors Programs
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Pace Law School, Land Use Law Center, Volunteer