WAGE & HOUR CLAIMS
Wage and Hour Claims in New York
Some serious, high-value employment disputes arise over whether workers are being paid fairly or denied their right to fair compensation under state and federal laws. At Jacobowitz and Gubits, LLP, you can consult attorneys prepared to thoroughly analyze your wage and hour concerns as an employee or employer in light of relevant New York statutes and the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Analysis and Action on Minimum Wage, Overtime and Misclassification Claims
Across the spectrum of industries and occupations, claims of underpayment and related workplace mistreatment sometimes involve issues such as:
- Failure to pay workers the applicable state or federal minimum wage
- Nonpayment of overtime wages as required by law
- Improper accounting of and payment for hours worked for by split-shift or split-time workers, employees on call and in other situations
- Denial of lawfully mandated meal and rest breaks
- Classification of workers as independent contractors rather than employees, for example, or improper classification as “exempt” or “non-exempt” for the employer’s financial benefit
Claims of improper compensation must be carefully considered in light of all protections that may apply, including those under a union contract as well as applicable state and federal employment laws. In addition, some wage and hour concerns raise related issues of employment discrimination, the presence of a hostile work environment and retaliation against those who file complaints.
Our New York wage and hour claims attorneys have the experience required to pursue the best paths to resolution for employees as well as employers. We represent clients in Orange County, Dutchess County, Ulster County and Rockland County. Ideally, cases can be settled through negotiation or alternative dispute resolution — but we build them for the possibility of trial from the outset and stand prepared to go the distance in defense of our clients’ rights and interests.
Contact a Knowledgeable Attorney
If you have reason to believe you are not being paid fairly, or you are an employer seeking guidance on handling such claims and complying with the law, contact our firm or our Spanish speaking employment lawyer Jennifer Echevarria, for an informative initial consultation. We will welcome your call to us at 845-764-9656 (toll free at 866-303-9595).