Legal Assistance for Not-for-Profit Organizations
In the Mid-Hudson Valley and throughout the state of New York, not-for-profit organizations, including public charities, religious foundations and other types of organizations, may need assistance with potential legal issues and questions. There can be many difficulties and challenges in the process of establishing or maintaining a non-profit organization, and experienced legal counsel can be an essential part of success.
At the law firm of Jacobowitz and Gubits, LLP, our lawyers work with non-profit organizations and their management to resolve disputes and to answer questions about running these organizations efficiently and effectively. We provide knowledgeable and responsive service in a manner that can help our clients become more successful in their efforts to help others.
Our Lawyers Help Not-for-Profit Organizations in New York
Jacobowitz and Gubits helps not-for-profit clients with issues that include:
- Organizational structure
- Regulatory compliance
- Corporate governance issues, including fiduciary duties and officer-director liability
- Conversion from non-profit to for-profit status
- Operation of non-profit and for-profit subsidiaries
- Application of charitable trust law
- Proper structure and responsibilities of board audit committees
- Setting up of family private foundations
- Litigation representation
We have represented clients that include churches, schools, hospitals, social clubs, trade associations and numerous other types of entities that are usually organized as non-profit organizations.
Contact Our Attorneys in the Mid-Hudson Valley
For more information, contact us the law firm of Jacobowitz and Gubits to talk with an attorney about not-for-profit organization assistance in New York. Call us to schedule an appointment for an initial consultation at 845-764-9656 (toll free at 866-303-9595).
At all stages of the life of a nonprofit, J&G has helped in planning, identifying and resolving issues, managing risk, exploring opportunities and closing transactions.
- Analysis to determine eligibility for and desirability of nonprofit mode of operation
- Formation of nonprofit corporation, including obtaining consents from government agencies
- Drafting of Articles of Incorporation, including vital corporate purposes provisions
- Drafting of bylaws and committee charters
- Preparation of IRS Form 1023 Application for Recognition of Exemption
- Preparation of applications for real property tax exemption
- Assistance in completing IRS Form 990 tax returns
- Purchases and leases of real property and business equipment
- Governance and best practices
- Financial reporting and controls auditing
- Officer and director duties and liability
- Taxation and unrelated income
- Employment and labor
- Strategic alliances and affiliations
- Conflicts of interest
- Review and revision of committee structure and charters
Reorganization and Dissolution
- Structuring and implementation of mergers
- Formation of nonprofit or for-profit subsidiaries or affiliates
- Petitions for Judicial or Non-Judicial Dissolution
These are some of the nonprofits that members of our firm have supported:
- Orange County Citizens Foundation
- The Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan
- RECAP, Inc.
- Orange County Arts Council
- Walden Local Development Corporation
- Orange County Land Trust
- Families First New York
- Maverick Concerts
- Hudson Highlands Nature Museum
- Mid-Hudson Pattern for Progress
- The Orange County Partnership
- Sullivan County Partnership for Economic Development
- Newburgh Institute for the Arts and Ideas
- The Meyer & Lillian Jacobowitz Foundation, Inc.
- Claire J. Hoyt Memorial Foundation, Inc., McSherry Foundation
- Mohonk Preserve
- Children’s Rights Society, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Cornwall On Hudson Riverfest, Inc.
- Re-Think Local