As Partner her practice includes commercial and residential real estate, business, land use development and municipal law.
As the result of her prior business interests owning real estate investment, development and management companies she has gained extensive legal experience with complex residential and commercial real estate transactions and land use development.
A niche area of law Marcia has focused on is equine law. Marcia has developed an equine law practice honed by regular attendance at the National Equine Law Conference in Lexington, Kentucky. Her practice has included representation of many area clients in establishing equine farms from the original purchase of the facility to the creation of profitable boarding and training facilities. Additionally, she handles issues related to limiting equine liability, stallion breeding, disputes over sire breeding funds, sale and purchase agreements, entity formation, boarding contracts, establishing and enforcing liens, among other issues.
Marcia is a member of the New York State Bar Association, having served on the Special Committee on Animals and the Law and is a member of the Municipal Law and Real Estate Law Sections. She is also a member of the American College of Equine Attorneys, the United States Equestrian Federation, the Humane Society of the United States, and a past Board member of the SPCA of Orange County.
Long committed to community service, in 1992, Marcia spearheaded the creation of a not-for-profit primary community healthcare facility, serving as Board President since 1992 and as Vice Chairperson of the parent corporation Hudson River Healthcare, Inc. since 1998.
Marcia was appointed by the Orange County Executive in 1994, to serve as a Board member of the Orange County Water Authority and has served as its chairperson since 2006.
Since 2010, Marcia has been a Board Member of Access: Supports for Living, she is a member of the Orange County Bar Association, and Women’s Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan County. Marcia was awarded the Women of Achievement award in 1996 by the YWCA of Orange County and Sarah Wells Girl Scout Council of Orange County and she continues to serve as co-chair of the Alumni Committee.
Marcia started her law practice in 1987, until 1998, when she was joined by her husband Bryan Paz, Esq. and continued there until 2009. In January, 2010, Marcia joined the firm of Jacobowitz & Gubits, LLP.
A graduate of Goucher College, Marcia received her Juris Doctorate degree in 1985 from Pace University School of Law. She was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1986.
Marcia was a guest on the WTBQ Horse Talk show on May 14, 2016 and discussed the new horse owner benefits as a result of the legislation, “Protecting Americans From Tax Hikes Act 2015”. Click here to listen to this recorded radio program.
- New York, 1986
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Section
- New York State Bar Association, Municipal Law Section
- Orange County Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan County
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. – 1985
- Goucher College, Towson, Maryland
- B.A. – 1982
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Russian Cultural Studies
- Limits of Equine Liability, Cornell Coop Extension, 2009
- The Dorothy Kartashevich Consumer Award by the Community Health Care Association of New York State, 2016
- Women of Achievement Awarded by YWCA of Orange County and Sarah Wells Girl Scout Council, 1996
- Spearheaded Creation of a Non-for-Profit Community Primary Healthcare Facility
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Access: Supports for Living, Board Member, Present
- Hudson River Healthcare, Inc., 2nd Vice Chair, 1998 – Present
- Wallkill Valley Health Coalition Corp., President, 1992 – Present
- Orange County Water Authority, Board Chairwoman, 2006 – Present
- Orange County Water Authority, Board Member, 1994 – Present
- Winslow Therapeutic Riding Center, Trustee, Past
- Hudson Highland Nature Museum, Board Member, Past
- SPCA of Orange County, Board Member, Past
- United States Equestrian Federation
- American College of Equine Attorneys
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Pirraglia, Rosenblatt & McGarrity, Associate Attorney, 1985 – 1987
- Marcia A. Jacobowitz, Esq., Sole Practitioner, 1987 – 1998
- Jacobowitz & Paz, Esq., Partner, 1998 – 2009
- Real Estate Management
- Real Estate Development and Investment
- Licensed Real Estate Broker