Mr. Jacobowitz is the founder and a senior partner of Jacobowitz and Gubits, LLP. He practices Environmental/Land Use, Real Estate, Municipal and Business Law. He has been village and town attorney for municipalities throughout the Hudson Valley. On behalf of private clients, he has helped bring to fruition numerous successful projects, including Rural Ridge subdivision, Harriman Business Park, Wind Ridge Village, Harriman Hills, Thruway Shopping Center, Walden View Apartments, and Millpond Condominium.
Mr. Jacobowitz has been a leader in the organized bar as a member of the New York State Bar Association, Municipal Law Section (member of the Executive Committee since 1982, secretary, second and first vice-chair, and chair 1993-1995.); an original co-editor of the Municipal Lawyer, the official publication of the Section; a member of the Orange County Bar Association (former president, director, treasurer and vice-president). He is also the original co-editor of the Orange County Lawyer, the official publication of the Orange County Bar Association.
Long committed to community service, Gerald served as a founding director of the Orange County Pro-Bono Legal Services, Inc. He served as a member of the Orange County Planning Board since 1997 and was vice chairman of the Orange County Charter Revision Commission, 1994-1996. He served as a director of Hometown Bank of the Hudson Valley formerly known as the Walden Federal Savings and Loan Association for forty-eight years. Mr. Jacobowitz also serves as a director of the Meyer and Lillian Jacobowitz Charitable Foundation. He is a founding director and served as president of the board of directors for the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan since 2000.
Gerald is a graduate of Colgate University, magna cum laude – Phi Beta Kappa. Gerald received his Juris Doctor degree in 1958 from the New York University School of Law, where he was a John Ben Snow Root Tilden Scholar. Gerald was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1959 and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- New York, 1959
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1962
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1962
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1962
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1963
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- Honors: John Ben Snow Root Tilden Scholar
- Colgate University, Hamilton, New York
- B.A. magna cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Orange County Bar Association, 2008
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- New York State Bar Association, House of Delegates; Municipal Law Section, Member, Former Section Chair, Executive Committee, 1982 – Present
- Orange County Bar Association, Former President, Director
- Orange County Planning Board, Member
- Walden Local Development Corp., Director
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Orange County Citizens Foundation, Member
- Community Foundation of Orange & Sullivan, Past President
- Meyer & Lillian Jacobowitz Foundation, Director
- Mid Hudson Pattern for Progress, Member
- Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – Middletown Campus Advisory Board